Thursday, October 2, 2008

Writer's block & sushi







I've been writing a lot lately. 
Well, rather, I've needed to write a lot lately. But not a lot of writing has been done.
Clearly, judging by how long it's taken for me to update my blog.

I'm in the process of writing a large play for my class, with several small plays thrown in between. Which invariably means that I haven't gotten any of my larger play done since I've been working on the smaller ones. 
I've been writing news releases which is truly the most boring form of writing- for me, at least. It's cut and paste. There's no creative license. 
And of course I've wanted to do some writing of my own but absolutely cannot seem to find the time to sit myself down and put my pencil to the paper.



This typewriter actually belongs to Joe, my Paw Paw. A few years ago, I was desperately searching for a working typewriter. I was inspired by a teal one that sat amidst other quirky items on a friend's desk. I thought, "I absolutely must get a typewriter". I had used my grandpa's for years but his was used for business. I was just inspired by the noise of it, the feel of the keys, the power you get from punching one letter at a time. I think I had already started using a keyboard before I typed on a typewriter for the first time, so the sensation was a lovely change of pace for me. 

I was always inspired when I typed on a typewriter. I placed my fingers on the keys and immediately began typing. Something. Anything. And it was all probably terrible. But I was driven on by, if nothing else, the consistent clicking of the keys and the satisfying "schiinggg!" at the end.

At any rate, my Paw Paw had one that had been in his family for years, in its original "carrying case" (huge!!). These days, it sits on my desk, waiting for me while I wait on inspiration. It still inspires me occasionally, but mostly I love the character it adds to my desk.



I'm learning that if that creative energy is there, I have to utilize it immediately and for as long as I can until it runs out. 

Which brings me to this quote- I found this and was inspired to use it in a monologue I was writing. The monologue never fully came to be, but the quote is still one of the most personally effective I've heard: 
"Beauty addresses itself 
chiefly to sight; but there is a beauty for the hearing too, as in certain combinations of words and in all kinds of music, for melodies and cadences are beautiful; and minds lift themselves above the realm of sense to a higher order are aware of beauty in the conduct of life, in actions, in character, in the pursuits of the intellect; and there is beauty of the virtues" 
- Plotinus

If ever there were a quote to encompass the way I feel about writing and about music, this would be up in the top 3, at least. Beauty is a concept that I am fascinated with and maybe I'll spend another post explaining my views on it.

In the meantime, I should really get to writing.


Ciao.
xoxo



p.s. I can't remember what life was like before I met crunchy shrimp rolls. It must have been dark and unfulfilled. They are truly a Godsend.



No comments: