Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"music is the only thing that makes sense anymore, man. play it loud enough, it keeps the demons away"



It could be said that our generation, my generation, can't stand to be disconnected: not from the world, but from one another- from their gadgets, from their phones and their iPods and their computers. 





It's true, you know. We can't stand it.

But I can tell you for a fact that the reason I'm inseparable from my iPod or my computer at all times is because I can't stand a world without music. If I had it my way, life would have an endless soundtrack- from the moment you wake up in the morning, to the mundane of brushing your teeth and painting your toenails, sitting in class or walking down the sidewalk, to a peaceful night's sleep and everything in between.

I find myself humming songs even when I don't have music around. I get more joy than any normal human should from hearing someone play acoustic guitar outside between classes or a stereo blasting while a group of boys toss a frisbee around. 

And it's always different. I fall asleep to classical music (which actually offends the aficionados of the genre). I do homework with jazz, Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra. I blare Cute is What We Aim For and Paramore from my car driving to long destinations. I listen to country and bluegrass when I'm "heading home". I run with rap music. But music envelops my life. And it makes it beautiful.  

So, yes, music sometimes does seem to me to be the only thing that makes sense anymore. Music, whether directly politically or economically charged, makes sense. The raw emotion that fills songs- so depressed or absolutely ecstatic that everything in their lives could be so perfect- makes sense. What the notes do to your soul and to your body- physically make you want to dance or literally makes you smile- makes sense. Sometimes, it's not tangible what music does to you- but YOU know it's there and it makes a difference in your life. 



My wish for you is that you find peace through whatever outlet it is in your life that will bring you a sense of comfort and well being. 
And even if that thing is not music, I guarantee that it can help you get there.

"Music is the harmonic connection between all living things"- August Rush

No comments: